Fast Writing
I just finished a non-stop writing exercise.
I was surprised by some of my thoughts and how much time effected me. The feeling of time passing, having a goal of occupying a certain number of minutes. I was also struck by the documentation of a voice from a recent phone conversation in my head. And how it lingered throughout my writing. The voice is of someone I have not met and this lead me to think about how we document or catalogue or anticipate a certain future...
Does documentation have to be retrospective? Is there a way to document what we imagine in a moment?
I think this is partly why Lia Rodriques' score that Julie mentions apeals to me. To enumerate every detail in a moment. And then expand it to detail our active mind not just our movements.
A few of my unedited thoughts from the exercise.
10:33pm 8.3.05
Writing on keys rather than writing with a pen. Does that make a difference in what I actually put down? Does the tool change the contant? I can feel the smooth key and I acan hear the clicking of my thoughts. the thoughts are now making noise. And I think maybe i won’t worry about ....I can hear Glen’s music and i feel that we are doing a duet.
.. i hear a truck drive by and i feel the resonance of the phone conversation I just had - i just hung up and i can still hear alan;s voice in my head even though i had never heard it before this evening never heard it before 7 minutes ago and now i know something about him since i heard his voice or at least i think that i know someting about him. just perception.
...i am now thinking of the anticipation of meeting someone new of thinking of who this person is and inviting him into my home and already feeling there is an idea of what he is about and what he is like. and i wonder how i have this impression and where it developed from. and what impresion i myself have given him in exchange. and how i can shape that impression or not shape it. we think about costumes and stage spacing and styles of movement - we choreograph these things. and i am glad that i don’t choreograph myself all of the time. the stess of others watching. it would be like trying to document and stage what would happen before it does. to predict what will happen - by stating the prediction documenting what you think will happen - thereby planting the idea in the receiver’s mind. you are shaping their impression of the future with "fact." you are telling them what they will see and what they will belive and you are creating a history of the future. a first impression.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home